Monday, September 29, 2008

Scary Times

Let me first say that I am not staying awake at night worried about what is going on in the financial world......yet. Things are scary right now, but it isn't the first time tough times have come and certainly won't be the last. I do know though that things can get much worse, and that is scary. As a christian I do trust in God to take care of us, and the Bible tells us not to worry, but I am human and I do.

I worry about my parents. My dad lost his job a year and a half ago, due to his company moving to India, nice, huh?! And he is def. a good ways away from being old enough to retire. Which, with this economy, who knows if/when that will happen. He has another job, but it doesn't pay near what he did make, my mom works too, but they are barely making it right now. I still have a younger brother and sister that live with them, so I know that makes it hard. His story is one of millions across the country, I know.

Anyone ever seen the boxing movie The Cinderella Man, it is set during the depression. I know those times could happen again, and it wasn't pretty.

So here is my plan to get us ready. We have to cut out most unnecessary spending, I say most, not all. We can still afford some frivolous things. I consider my self inherently frugal, and I am, but I do my fair share of wasteful spending. So our belts are going to get tighter. Not as much McDonalds or a new purse here, or a new shirt there, or getting highlights. I can go back to just one color. We need to quit eating junk anyway, so that could definitely go. Maybe with all this cutting away of junk, I will cut away some of this fat I have been holding on to as well!

My point is, we need to be better prepared for whatever comes, good or bad. So here I go. Hmmmm, I think this might call for some spread sheets and lists. I LOVE to organize, oh goody!

6 comments:

Gwendolyn said...

We're doing the same thing over here. I've even started buying a few extra unperishibles at the grocery store. I figure if grocery prices keep going up, it won't hurt to have some more food already in the pantry! :o)

CrossView said...

We've been "cutting back" for the last few years. That has helped us tremendously when the panic starts to set in. LOL!
For us, we'll just grow a few more things and if necessary, eat what we feed. Except for the kids and the horse...

It's been amazing to us to find out what we really need versus what we want.

Sara@iSass said...

I spent the afternoon crying. It's just gotten to me, a moment of weakness & worry. Hubby comes home and says something about his retirement stuff...At which point I bucked up. We have today. No guarantees. I have faith that God will provide for our needs. He has a plan and will carry it out to completion. (Jeremiah 29:11 & Philippians 1:6)

Sara@iSass said...

And I'm NOT cutting out internet. I'd give up cable before my blogging.

Hannah said...

Everyone is moaning about hard times, and I certainly see it, but I'm ASTONISHED at how many of these people I see walking around moaning while carrying their Starbucks cups, or Red Bull cans, or puffying away on their cancer sticks.....they can loose their homes, but God forbid they ever loose their Starbucks or cigarettes! It drives me nuts.

We never need worry about going hungry. God will provide. But I'm not sure he'll provide Starbucks or Red Bull! I think when the going gets tough, many people will be surprised just what is classified as "need" and what is simply "want".

Off my soap box now....:)

Jen said...

I worry too. I try not to obsess about it, but I do worry.