Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A binky addict

I was looking back over the pics I just posted and noticed that in every single one of them Gwen has her binky in her mouth. Her binky is her most favoritest thing on earth. But I guess I need to snap more pics of her without it, lol! She really doesn't have it 24/7, just 23/7! Honestly I am not even going to think of breaking her from it until she is two. We might cut back on it and keep it only for sleepy times, or when she is sick or I have to leave her somewhere at about 18 months.

But when we broke Gabe from his binky at 18 months he went from sleeping through the night to waking about 4 times a night and that lasted until just recently and I am NOT doing that again. And if anybody (my mil, oops did I type that out loud!) might hint around that she is too old to have a binky and that I should break her from it, they can feel free to come to my house and spend the night and get up with her when she wakes in the middle of the night, every night, for the next 2 years until she learns to sleep soundly without it, and I am most certainly NOT joking, lol!

Taking a binky from a toddler that sleeps soundly is like waking a bear from hibernation, you just don't do it!

4 comments:

Gwendolyn said...

I completely agree...do not mess with the sleep of small children! I only had one child addicted to the binky, but he was VERY addicted. Alex had to have the binky clipped to his shirt AT ALL TIMES or he would hyperventilate. I just knew that he was going to be horrible when we finally took it away. So I braced myself, and just after he turned two I told him that big boys didn't use binkies, and he said, "Okay." And that was that.
It was the most anticlimactic thing that has ever happened to me. LOL

Hannah said...

Anastasia still sleeps with her binky. I'm thinking about starting the "4 year olds are too big for binkies" conversation for her upcoming winter birthday. Many folks would think I'm awful for letting her have it so long, but I totally don't care. Her binky became important to her when her little sister arrived, and I don't mind that she still finds it comforting. So if anyone gives you problems about it, tell them about your friend and her three and a half year old binker lover! They can talk about us instead of you. :)

Sara@iSass said...

No fears Jenn. Nicholas had his until last February. He had turned 3 in Jan. Then the sucky fairy came and took them to a new baby and left Nick a tricked out Road Ripper that has lots of buttons to push...It's still one of his favorites. You let Gwen have her binky, tell her about the Binky Fairy. She'll do it when she's ready. Plus you can get your sleep.

CrossView said...

Too funny!
One of mine had a pacifier for what seemed like an eternity. I asked the doctor who told me that she used it to soothe herself and she'd let it go when she was ready. He was right. Of course, she was 4 - but it did happen with no trauma! LOL!