Thursday, September 4, 2008

My Hubby's gonna be a deacon! Updated at bottom

I realized I hadn't written about this, so here it is! Our church recently asked 7 or 8 men to consider being considered (lol) to be a deacon and Donny was one of them.

For those who may not know, our faith, we are Baptist, have men in the church who under the pastor/preacher are leaders/servants in the church.

They are leaders in the sense that they help guide the church in spiritual decisions and are there to give any counseling or prayer for people in the church when the pastor has a lot on his plate and are to be good examples of what a christian should be.

They are servants in the sense that they are there to assist the pastor, and the church, in anything that they need.

It is a huge honor to be asked to be one, but also a great responsiblity, not only for Donny but for me and the kids as well. I am very proud of him, and pray that God gives us the strength and grace to be Godly, loving, supportive Christians, in our church and in our community. Please pray for us!

I updated to add that he passed the "test", realized that I left that out of the post. They ask candidates questions to see if they qualify, or are a fit for the position and now they all are being ordained this Sunday evening. He even bought a suit for the event, which is quite remarkable for Donny. Anyway just thought I would add that in case anyone was wondering.

3 comments:

Charisse said...

How exciting for Donny! That is great! I LOVE reading blogs of fellow Christians. It is me again, Charisse. My mum and dad are the Senior Pastors of our church. My dad is born and bread a Baptist Pastor and was the Senior Pastor of our Baptist church for 20 years or more. It becomes a vague memory how long it has been. My dad, who is a Baptist Pastor, is now Pastoring in the AOG which you would know as Assemblies of God. Our church is very unique. My dad is a visionary and often has been asked to take over churches that are struggling. Our church has been growing so large. It is also largely black African. A very different church but good. I am just so excited to read up about your life and how involved you are in church and in God. It is great and very encouraging. Congratulations!
Love Charisse

Hannah said...

Congrats! I bet bet both of your folks are proud. You will be the exception to the rule that preachers kids are mean because they play with deacon's kids. :)

Shel said...

Congrats - that is great!!!

Now in your church are the men deacons for life or do they rotate off after a term and have to be voted back on? Our church is the later. Shawn was a deacon but rotated off, then became youth minister. He isn't one now - who knows if he will get voted back on and whether he will serve if asked.

Still - this is a big step in your lives! Congrats!