Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Can I retract my last title!

The one that said "Thank God for Home Warranty's". Turns out I was prematurely thankful, lol! The tech that came out Monday to look at the a/c, said it was a blower wheel and it went bad because it was improperly installed. So guess what, our home warranty does not cover when the cause of the malfunction was improper installation! The estimate to get it fixed was $289, not too bad. Not too good either, but considering a/c malfunctions are a crap shoot, and it can cause thousands to fix, not too bad.

Ok, here is where things can get a bit hairy, so hope I get it all straight. Since home warranty people were not paying for the work, we wanted to have our friends company do the work instead of the company we would have to use with the HM (home warranty) people. We get a tech to come out from his company, he says that there is another problem besides just the blower wheel, and that is another few hundred dollars just for the part. Then he proceeds to tell us that you could not tell from looking at the problems that is was improper installation that caused the malfunction. So if you are still with me, this means that if improper installations didn't cause the problem, our home warranty should cover the expenses.

So here is where I get a bit hairy. I call the HM company, tell them the situation, and ask how I can appeal. I have to send in the statement from the other company giving their opinion on the 3problem, they will review it, send another tech out, then decide on payment. This could take 2-3 days, and it may not even get approved, although if it doesn't, what good are the darn warranty's anyway. I ask if we can go ahead and have the work done and pay for it, and then if the appeal does get approved, they just reimburse us. Of course it doesn't work like that.

Then I call the first company to let them know what we are doing and we didn't need them to fix the a/c, and of course they give me grief. Then after she talks to the original tech, he says he had looked at the other part that the second guy said was bad, and he didn't think there was anything wrong with it. And the secretary tells me that if this third guy comes out and agrees with our guy, in which the home warranty company would have to pay, they may send another guy out to look at it, thus delaying us getting the a/c fixed. Did you get all that. I wanted to throw the stinkin' phone at someone! Now we really don't know who is right on what is wrong with the a/c, and honestly will be glad to get a third opinion, even if it means we have to pay for the work ourselves, at least we will know with some certainty who diagnosed it correctly, and we can get it fixed! We aren't living in the house yet, which is good because it is 95 in the shade with a heat index of probably 105, and we would have been without air for a while, yuk!

Just another bump in the road of the house struggle for us. I told someone tonight that I didn't think we would ever move, that we would just have 2 houses forever, and honestly that is how it feels. ~Sigh~ It will all be over soon, I just have to keep telling myself that, or I might go nuts! Would you like to join me?

3 comments:

Shel said...

Ewww! What a run around!!!! I'm so glad that you aren't living in the house though - that would be beyond awful! It's so hard to keep your patience when people are all trying to cover their rears like that!

We are leaving sometime around 6pm tonight - boo! My DH has a basketball camp in Greenville today so we are getting a late start. After dinner and trying to totally exhaust Cait, I don't think there will be time for a meet-up :(. I do believe that we will be in Vandalia on August 30th for FIL's wedding. I have no idea of times and such yet but I could probably convince DH to go up there early so we could hang out some!!!

Stacy said...

Email me about Gwen's tutu
sarastutus@Hotmail.com

*Erin* said...

Oh my, oh my!! What a situation you had there. Why can't it all be simple and an answer be given to you right away.

Thank goodness you arnt living in the house yet, you would be cooked meat by now! I hope the situation gets handled asap and you are covered for it!!