Thursday, October 9, 2008

Scary things

Ok, it's that time of year again. When every channel except LMN starts showing all the scary movies ever made, and every other commercial is a preview for a scary movie. Have I ever mentioned I don't like scary movies. Not that I don't like them, just that whenever I watch one I become an 8 year old kid again and want to sleep with my mom for a month! So I just don't watch them, sometimes the previews scare me so bad that I get freaked out.

Let me tell you what started my scary movie phobia. When I was like 5 my parents were going to see the movie Amityville Horror, anyone remember that one. Well I didn't want to stay with my aunt and uncle and whined to go with my parents, and they let me! Ok, let me say my parents were relatively smart people, and I have no idea what they were smokin' that day, but what the heck, I was stinkin' 5 years old, I should have never been allowed to see that movie! I didn't sleep by myself for years, and that is not exaggerating! Finally when I had gotten over that, when I was in the 4th grade the movie Excorcist was playing on tv. Uh huh, I know all of you cringed when I said that, yep, my mom had another brain fart and let me see that movie. I did not sleep the rest of the night, and didn't want to sleep alone for months after that. I'm pretty sure I need therapy.

Right after Donny and I got married we watched the movie Scream, and that night after we were in bed I made him get up and go to the bathroom with me, that is how bad it is. Even suspense/thriller movies are hard for me to watch if they are gory and gross. So this "season" is very hard on me. Donny works swing shift, so 2 out of every 5 weeks he is on nights, so if I happen to see a really freaky preview on one of those nights, I might lose some sleep. I'm a big chicken and I am proud of it! Besides, some of those movies are just evilness to me, and I don't need to see any more of that cause there is enough of that on the news already.

Anyway, not much point to this post, except to share a part of myself. Oh and I did not repeat my parent's mistake and let my kids watch adult movies. The scariest thing they have seen is, I guess The Wizard of Oz, I am definitely not going to let them be "crippled" by my fears, lol!

5 comments:

Gwendolyn said...

My mom let me watch "Salem's Lot" when I was six, and for the next four years I slept with a small blanket around my neck to ward off the vampires. Because we all know, vampires will not bite you if your neck is covered. LOL

My children do not watch horror movies, either. This world is scary enough without adding to it.

Sara@iSass said...

My sister sat on me and made me watch Nightmare on Elm street. I hate horror movies. I can read stuff that is suspensful but if you bring it to life I can NOT be anywhere near it. My son is into going down the "spooky" aisle at Target. I agree Oz is a touch scary for first timers...It's those darn monkeys!

Hannah said...

I can still remember the absolute fear of being in bed alone at night in the dark, staring down at the foot of the bed and fearing an alien head thingy on a pole appearing after watching the really old movie, "War of the Worlds".

DH and I butt heads over this issue, because I remember childhood fear very well, and he just doesn't get it.

Jen said...

Man! I feel bad for you! I love, love scary movies - I get SO scared I make McHusband check the locks and stuff, but it's like a sick addiction!

Charisse said...

Hello my dear! Wow, I can't believe you were allowed to watch those movies....hehe.
I have never watched a scary movie in my life! Yep, I do not lie. I have wanted to keep my mind free of that stuff. Mum and dad were very insistent on us not seeing scary movies and we would even read from the Bible about how they were not healthy for us. I do get frightened easily anyway. So....our tradition has continued. It is always amazing about what you are taught as a child, you usually carry through. We teach Isaac the same and don't let him see stuff like that either. I find it interesting how things are so emphasised in October in the States. I know Halloween is an American thing and not really an Australian thing at all. Yep, kids do go around and trick or treat but it is not routine at all.....one or two kids on the street might. Australians are just not into it.
Boy, I sure hope I didn't sound "mighty" in what I said....didn't mean it that way....just sharing the amazing differences between Australia and the USA! Hehe
Love ya,
Charisse