Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Jack of all trades....

and master of none. Yep, that's me. Do you ever feel that way? There are so many moms, and other types of humans, lol, out there that have some amazing abilities and sometimes it makes me feel very mediocre. Here are some examples:

There are some amazing, inspiring, witty, intelligent, consistent bloggers here in bloggy land. I am none of the above, not even consistent which just takes some time!

I am not creative, not.one.little.bit! Not a creative cell in my body, and I'm talkin' all forms of creativity. I can't draw, seriously, still drawing stick people at the age of 36! I can't do interior decorating. I mean I have my likes and dislikes, and can TRY to duplicate anything I see, as long as it doesn't involve painting or some such creativeness, but to just look at something and say this would look great with such and such, no way! I can't take a piece of junk at a flea market and turn into a beautiful antique! I have several wall hangings that have been in my room for about a year, I'm waiting for one of my not so creatively challenged friends to come hang them for me. I can barely scrapbook, and I only do the most basics!

I'm not good with just coming up with cool, educational, crafty things for my kids to do. Coloring pages and flash cards have been my only tools, lol!

I can sew, but just barely. But I really don't like to, lol! I can't make hair bows. I can't take glitter glue and make t shirts to die for. I can't whip up a wreath for my door or a flower arrangement, unless you like things that look like they were made by your 3rd grader.

I have become a much more accomplished cook, but no better than any of my other friends. And who can't follow a recipe? But I have a lot of trouble feeding my kids variety and am not always creative with my meal choices.

I can clean really good, but don't keep a sparkling house, I mean I do keep the bugs away, but wouldn't want to run a white glove over the furniture:)

I can't sing, and this is one thing I just dream about! I would love to be able to get up in front of everyone at church and just let it fly and belt out "In Christ Alone"! I can't imagine how much fun that would be! That's one thing I'm gonna do in Heaven, sing LOUD!!!

I took 2 years of piano as a kid, but that just means I can read music and peck out Step 2 songs from Kayleigh's lesson books.

I'm no photographer, I mean I can take a picture at a recital, but it certainly isn't going to look professional!

I am good at sports, especially volleyball, but after high school there really isn't much use for that!

This isn't a pity party! I could do most of the things I listed, except sing, haha, at least halfway decent if I put my mind to it, but none of it comes naturally, like it seems to for some, thus the "jack of all trades and master of none".

I do have other qualities, I can organize like nobodies business, I can whip a closet or garage into shape in no time flat and am really good at throwing stuff out, ha! I'm competetive, which can be a detriment, but most of the time is good because it keeps me on my toes and keeps me motivated! And I have a lot of energy. I'm very easy going. Oh, and I can find a bargain like a fly can find a dead body, haha! I DO know how to save money.

But these things aren't very, how would you say it, glamorous!!! That's it isn't it? These things don't get the respect and awe of the creative, talented gifts! So those of us who suffer from mediocrity aren't really mediocre, our gifts are just in the more practical realm! After all I am made in the image of God, and we all know he doesn't make mediocrity, He only makes things that have the potential for greatness! And the Bible says we are all given gifts and talents! So I can't embroider my kids names on shirts or make cute wooden plaques for their doors, I can play baseball with them or help my girls learn how to stretch their dollar and still look great, and that is just as important!

1 comment:

CrossView said...

I'm laughing here! Sorry - but that sounds so much like me talking to myself. My talents just don't exceed pre-k. And not teaching preschoolers anymore means that I don't even use those talents. And I'm not even sure those ARE talents... ;o)

My 13-yr old would love to have an athletic mom! And I'm still learning how to stretch a dollar which is quite a gift for those of us who don't have it naturally.

And could I borrow just a bit of your energy? I've been running low lately.