Thursday, May 29, 2008

Golf and Life

My husband has been playing golf for a very long time, and is somewhat obsessed with it. I dabbled in it a little bit before we had kids, even took a group lesson. Wasn't very good at all. We started having kids and then I just kind of quit. Well recently I have taken it up again. We joined the country club. Ok I know that sounds very rich and snotty, but it really isn't. We live in a town of about 7000 people, very rural area. It only cost $550 for the whole year for a family membership, which includes golf and use of their pool. That is very cheap! It isn't a fancy schmancy kind of thing. Here you don't have to be a doctor, lawyer or something or know someone to get in, it is not an elite kind of thing in this town. Anyway, I digress, just absolutely don't want to portray an image that is soooo not us! I have been playing as much as I can these past couple of weeks and I am hooked. It is sooooo hard, and doesn't look like much fun. But once I started actually hitting a few good shots I am becoming obsessed! Oh and of course I have the gear. We, dh picked them out, got me a cheap set of clubs at KMart, they are pink and black, I have the glove, hat and shoes. I also bought a couple pair of long golf shorts at Wal Mart, even a plaid pair. So even if I don't play very good, I look good, lol!

But I am feeling guilty for my new habit. Is it really being a good steward of my time to play, or at least want to play, alot? Golf, or any sport for that matter, doesn't produce any fruit for God's Kingdom. Don't get me wrong, I loooooove sports, and am a very competitive person, and I do think that sports is a valuable tool in teaching kids, and adults I guess, things like team work, (it's not all about me), good sportsmanship, how to respect authority, etc. But I could be doing so much more with that time. First I could be doing things at home or with my kids. Now let me interject that I don't and can't play everyday, but even a couple times a week is alot when it takes 3-4 hours to play 18 holes! There are lost people everywhere, I could be out trying to win them! I could be studying my Sunday School lesson, or just Bible study in general.

On the other hand I also know that moms need some relax time to themselves, we all do. Burnout happens very easy with three small children. I guess I just need to maintain a balance! And maybe God will put a lost person in my path on the golf course? Hey, they play golf too! Seriously I don't want this frivolous hobby to become what my life revolves around, and probably since I am aware this could happen, God will keep me in check! If I do become obsessed, I guess He could just make me play horrible and want to give it up all together!

No comments: